FULL-TIME FIXED-TERM FACULTY POSITION: ESL INSTRUCTOR
Central Michigan University is seeking a full-time ESL instructor to teach IEP and EAP students at the English Language Institute. The ELI was established in 1992 to provide English language courses for international nondegree, undergraduate, and graduate students. The ELI prepares international students for academic classes and helps university-enrolled international students achieve greater academic success.
Starting Date: August 24, 2015
- Teach 14-16 contact hours per week
- Contribute to assessment and placement of students
- Collaborate with colleagues on development of midterm and final exams
- Contribute to curriculum development
- Mentor graduate students and part-time temporary faculty
- Participate in professional development activities
- M.A. in TESOL or closely related field
- teaching experience in a university intensive English program or similar program
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the profession
- Experience with English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- Experience teaching EAP writing
- Experience with language testing and development of test specifications
- International experience
- Fluency in a language other than English
Application Deadline: Priority consideration will be given to applications received before August 17, 2015.
How to Apply: You must submit an on-line application at https://www.jobs.cmich.edu in order to be considered as an applicant for this position.
Please include a cover letter, CV, and two letters of recommendation. Cover letters may be addressed to the Hiring Committee.
The number of positions filled will be dependent on enrollments.
While this posting is for a one semester position, a longer-term full-time appointment may follow.
Central Michigan University was established in 1892 and is among the nation’s 100 largest public universities. As a tier-one university, CMU serves nearly 20,000 students on its Mount Pleasant campus. It also enrolls more than 7,000 students and working adults online and at 50 out-of-state locations. CMU delivers a superior educational experience for students that is built on close relationships with faculty and staff, hands-on learning including undergraduate research, an emphasis on leadership and volunteerism, and a global perspective.
With a $440 million budget, CMU offers more than 200 academic programs from the undergraduate to doctoral levels. Premier programs include the sciences, business, accounting, health professions, communications, teacher preparation, educational leadership, engineering, neuroscience, psychology, apparel merchandising design, music, and political science. CMU in 2013 launched the nation’s 137th College of Medicine. CMU offers top NCAA Division I athletics. The university is located in a classic college community in the heart of lower Michigan, where residents find active outdoor features, family attractions and Midwestern life in a vibrant university culture. CMU, is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. (seehttp://www.cmich.edu/ocrie)