Book or Materials Reviews
Book or Materials Reviews are short reviews of recently published (in last three years) books or materials (including textbooks, software, and audio materials).
Word Range: 800-1000 words
- Brief, (50 words or so) interest-grabbing opening paragraph with an opinion or salient feature about the book/materials.
- Brief description/summary of the material(s), including its intended audience
- A description of the students with whom you used the materials (if relevant)
- The strengths of the materials
- The weaknesses of the materials and how those might be remedied
- Comparisons to other texts (if relevant)
- References to research to help explain the author’s approach or purpose or to support your analysis of the text (only a few, though)
Additional Formatting Guidelines for Submission Information for Book/Material Reviews:
- Format as required for all MITESOL Journal submissions; however, instead of an abstract, include the following information on the cover page:
- Complete title of the book/material reviewed (with edition number)
- Complete names of all authors of the materials reviewed
- Publisher, publisher's city and state, date of publication.