History of the Organization
MITESOL is one of over 90 affiliates of TESOL International, Inc., the major professional association for English language educators in the world. It was founded in March, 1975 by a group of concerned ESL educators who were seeking professional exchange and enrichment.
MITESOL comprises a diverse group of individuals, primarily from the state of Michigan, involved in the teaching of English to speakers of other languages. Our members include administrators, educators, materials writers, researchers, and teacher educators working in a variety of environments, including K-12, post-secondary, adult education, business, and government agencies.
Our main mission is to provide leadership and support for professionals involved in TESOL by:
- Fostering improvement of programs for the education of pre- and in-service teachers of ESL
- Providing opportunities and resources for the professional development of ESL educators
- Collaborating with educational institutions, agencies, and professional associations to identify and resolve issues in ESL instruction
- Coordinating information and activities with other professional organizations at the state, national, and international levels
- Encouraging development, participation, and leadership in the field
- Advocating for quality standards in instructional programs of ESL